Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Salmon Patties

It's always fun to update a "comfort food" classic to a "clean eating" recipe. I grew up eating salmon patties and they definitely remind me of my childhood. I made a few small changes to my mom's classic recipe:


1 15oz can of red or pink salmon
1/2 c whole wheat bread crumbs
2 eggs
1/4 c minced red onion
1 t parsley
1 t lemon juice
1/4 t Old Bay Seasoning
Coconut oil (optional)

Drain salmon and reserve the broth. You can leave the skin and bones in the meat if you want (it's perfectly edible) but I like to remove as much skin as I can and at least remove the larger round bones. Flake salmon with fork in a medium sized mixing bowl. Add bread crumbs (I made my own in the mini food processor from one slice of whole wheat bread), eggs, onion, lemon juice and Old Bay. Mix ingredients well. Form into 1/4 cup patties. If they won't hold together and are a little crumbly, add in a little bit of the reserved broth. Heat a large non-stick skillet or griddle to medium heat. I used a tiny bit of coconut oil to "fry" them but it's not necessary. Fry about 3-4 minutes per side or until browned. Makes 8 cakes (four servings) Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment