Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Beef Enchiritos

Taco Bell was one of my favorite places to eat as a child.. we all went through that phase, right?! When my parents were generous enough to take me there (bless them, now I understand their sacrifice) I always ordered an "enchirito." It's basically a cross between a burrito and an enchilada (duh). I noticed a few years ago that the classic dish is back on the menu after a long hiatus. These homemade enchiritos are much, much better than the Taco Bell version:



1 pound ground beef
1/2 envelope taco seasoning
1/2 can refried beans
flour tortillas (I use fajita size)
shredded cheddar (grate your own, it melts better!)
1/4 c chopped onion
1 small can El Pato tomato sauce (pictured below, found in the mexican section)
sour cream for garnish


Brown ground beef, drain and add seasoning and water according to package directions. I only use half of the envelope and half the amount of water because a whole envelope overpowers the flavor of the beef. Keep warm. Warm refried beans. In a separate skillet, warm flour tortillas over medium high heat, one at a time, about 15 seconds per side. I like to do this because it gives them a toasty flavor. Assemble burritos by spreading a large spoonful of beans on tortilla, top with a large spoonful of beef, a sprinkle of onions and a pinch of cheese. Roll into burrito and place seam side down on a plate. Top with a small pour of El Pato and another sprinkle of cheese. Microwave for 15 seconds to melt cheese and serve topped with sour cream. You can add any garnish you like.. chopped scallions, black olives (like Taco Bell did once upon a time), etc. Serves 2, amply, with leftovers. Enjoy!


I like this sauce because it has a much fresher taste than canned enchilada sauce. It is a little bit spicy so feel free to substitute mild enchilada sauce if you prefer.

No comments:

Post a Comment